I am calling all routes south of the boundaries for the city of San Diego the South County Trails.
I have become acquainted with South County San Diego Mountain Biking due mainly to riding with the Eastlake Christian Church Cycling Club. While most of the rides seem to center around Otay Lake I have done some riding around Sweetwater Reservoir and up around Southwestern College.
It was while riding around Sweetwater Reservoir when I came across a large rattlesnake on the move. I have spoken with several people who say they only ride in that area from November to March due to the large number of snakes. We also came across a little rattler while riding at night in the western part of Otay Valley.
This map below shows you trailheads for the best San Diego Mountain Bike trails. The South County Region trailheads are shown by the Red Balloons.
As stated on our home page… rides posted on Mountain Bike Diaries will provide information at one of 3 different levels:
- Garmin or Strava Review (Garmin or Strava Reviews … provides all the stats for rides, such as length of the ride, elevation gained, detailed map, time of ride, temperature of ride, and many more).
- Short Blog Review (includes Garmin or Strava Review plus photos, video, and a short written Review/Story of the ride).
- Full Page Review (includes Garmin or Strava Review plus photos, video, custom maps, slideshows, and a detailed description of the ride).
As a bonus we are offering readers a chance to look at a Gallery of Photos for many of the rides.
Use all of the information below to plan an upcoming trip, to look for some new trails to tackle, or just for entertainment!
South County Trails
All rides in the South County Region are listed alphabetically by the town closest to their trailhead. The listing order in no way reflects the quality or length of the rides.
- Sweetwater Reservoir (full page) Roughly a 14 mile ride along the shores of Sweetwater Reservoir and River to the steel bridge in Rancho San Diego (and back).
- Tri Canyons South(night) This 11.7 mile ride was with the Eastlake Christian Cycling Club starting right next to Bonita Vista High School.
- Tri Canyons South (daytime) (Garmin Review and Photos) Same trails as above only this time I could see the surrounding area.
- Otay Prison Run An 18.4 mile trek into and out of the Otay Valley… circling around 2 prisons.
- Otay Mountain (full page) A 25.9 mile fire road ride to a high peak overlooking Otay Lake and the Mexican city of Tijuana.
- Otay Valley Trail… West (Garmin Review and Photos)… This was a 19.30 mile ride starting just off the 805 freeway and leading east to the prisons… and back.
I think you can see San Diego’s South County Trails offer many opportunities for rides. Once again, I live in this area and would be glad to guide you. All you need to do is Contact Me.